Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Companions in Christ: Linda Allen


“Companions” is also AHUMC shorthand for the group of women who meet each Wednesday morning to share lives and further our Faith journeys in loving community.  I have been a part of this group for 10 years.  Others longer, others less.  Currently, we have about 20 regular attendees.  Together, we share a journey of holy discerning about our Discipleship to Jesus Christ.


We prepare ahead to discuss a lesson each week using the curriculum from is a multi-topic collection of curriculum for small group study and spiritual formation (click here to go to the curriculum). We’ve been through the Companions curriculum more than once and in  between, we read books or other short studies on various topics. As we journey together, we have become familiar faith fiends. I know that I can safely admit my struggles and lean on knowing and empathetic shoulders. Whether it is again reminding myself that I am not in control (as much as I’d like to be) or admitting that I do not stop often enough to quiet my distractions and simply listen for the whisper of the Divine, I am strengthened by the deep knowing that my sisters also share this journey.

I have especially been blessed to find new ways to practice and deepen my Discipleship.  Barbara Williams, a longtime Companion and life artist, brought to us the book Praying in Color which has transformed my prayer life.  The encouragements and faith challenges offered by ancient mothers and fathers of our faith included in the book, Devotional Classics, have inspired me to change my habits of intentional gratitude and to seek my Christ-serving purpose in everyday tasks (like washing dishes or saying hello to the grocery clerk).

Ultimately, growing my faith in this loving, intimate Christian community has encouraged and challenged me to keep moving on my path to knowing and following Christ. Sometimes the path is unpleasant but rewarding (such as when I first journeyed through the Forgiveness lessons and unflinchingly faced how I do, or do not, forgive myself and others). At other times, the path is enlightening and full of surprising new perspectives (such as when I first met author Barbara Brown Taylor through her book An Altar in the World).

I recently heard an analogy comparing Christian Discipleship to a cellphone. We are all keenly aware that our cell phone has a charge, and are contentious about maintaining that charge. We know which cords and devices we need to charge it. We know we have to plug it into an active power source. We probably have a set routine to safeguard  it’s charge: we plug it in consistently overnight, have charging gear with us when we travel, and we make sure the power outlet is the real deal, not one that’s switched off or inactive.

Likewise, as children of God, we have a charge. We were created with the Divine Spark within us. To maintain that spark, we must safeguard its charge. My Discipleship practices (worship, prayer, study, service, community, and others) are the routines I use to keep it charged. My fellowship with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are my charging gear - only through knowing and being close to them can I stay connected to the source of the Divine Spark, the one and only Holy and Living God of all creation. If I fail to recharge, my Divine Spark will be used up by the wear of daily living, just like my cell phone charge. I must be intentional about the care and nurture of my Divine Spark. When I need it most (for me or for someone else) it will shine bright, not dwindle.


I pray you also have a holy community that encourages and builds your faith in the ways Companions continues to build and nurture mine. Because to “make disciples for Jesus Christ” we must first be disciples, and for that, we must know whom we follow. Blessing in your Discipleship journey and May your Divine Spark be fully charged always!


No comments:

Post a Comment